Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Dunlap out, now maybe we can progress.

Hey guys, I'm sure most of you have either gotten here through twitter/BR/facebook, so I'm assuming you've seen the article I posted on Bleacher Report about Dunlap's dismissal. If not, click here.

You don't have to get much farther than the title to see my feelings on the matter: I'm glad he's gone.

I don't feel like going over why he wasn't the man for the job in a blog post when I just wrote and linked a fairly in-depth analysis of all of his shortcomings, so this is going to be a short post.

He needed to go. He coached this NBA team like a college team, he failed in player development, he failed MKG completely, his rotations were miserable, and the players hated him.

A lot of outsiders looking in are crying foul, saying Dunlap wasn't given a fair shot. The  fact is, Dunlap had a full season to adjust his coaching scheme, but he remained cemented in his ways, and that is not good enough.

You have to be wiling to adjust. You have to be approachable for your developing players. You can't hold constant 4 hour practices the day before a game. You can't play  2-3 zone constantly and be exploited from three-point land worse than any other team in the NBA.

That last bit is especially frustrating, considering the fact that many of our players are extremely strong perimeter defenders limited to their zones.

I don't know where they're going to go, but ESPN's Chris Broussard tweeted that sources are saying the Bobcats' coaching opening is much more attractive than it was last year, and that they will generate much more interest than last year.

They're going to be around $20 million under salary cap, they're going to have at least a top-five, most likely a top-three pick in the NBA draft, and they have a very talented young core that tripled its win total without much help from their head coach.

Give that article I linked you to a quick read if you want to see all of Dunlap's shortcomings. This is the first significant move of the most pivotal offseason in franchise history, and it was a big one. I'm excited to see where they go.

I'm going to do my part by flooding Phil Jackson's twitter account begging him to come to Charlotte.

Please Phil, please... REUNITE WITH MICHAEL JORDAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment